GATE 2017: The online application process of Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering- 2017 has started from 01 September. The last date for filling the Application form of GATE 2017 has been extended till 10 October. Earlier, the last date for filling the application form was 4 October 2016.
IIT Roorkee, the organising institute of Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering 2017 has scheduled to conduct the GATE 2017 Exam on the following days 04,05,11 and 12 February 2017( including Saturday and Sunday). The application form of GATE will be available only via online mode.
It is predicted that this year GATE will have a high number of applicants as compared to the last year i.e. 9.5 lakh because the GATE exam is now open for the foreign nationals as well.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE 2017) is an All India level examination for admission to M.Tech/M.E programs in NITs, IITs, other GFTIs and other reputed private institutes/universities of India. Every year, GATE Exam is jointly administered by Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and seven Indian Institutes of Technology located at Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, and Roorkee. The organising institute is responsible for the coordination amongst all the administering institutes. The GATE score is valid for a period of three years from the date of result declaration.
What’s new in the GATE 2017 Exam ?
Following changes will take place from this year onwards in the GATE Exam –
- The XE paper will now have a new section on Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences (Section H). So the number of Sections in the XE paper will go up to eight (A-H).
- GATE for International Candidates – This is the important change in the GATE. It will now be held for the international candidates from the following countries – Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Ethiopia and United Arab Emirates (U.A.E). Supposedly, the list of the countries may or may not increase further.
To get complete information about the GATE 2017 examination including the exam dates, eligibility criteria, application procedure, admit card, exam pattern, continue reading the article below –
|Event||Important Dates (Tentative)|
|Start date of the GATE Application submission process||01 September 2016|
|Last date of the GATE Application submission process||10 October 2016|
|Last Date for Request for Change in the Choice of Examination City via GOAPS login||16 November 2016|
|Availability of GATE 2017 Admit Card||05 January 2017|
|Date of the GATE 2017 Online Examination (CBT)||04,05,11 and 12 February 2017|
|Date of announcement of the GATE Results||27 March 2017|
|Availability of GATE Scorecard||27 March to 26 May 2017|
|Availability of GATE Scorecard for Purchase||26 May to 31 December 2017|
The Candidates before applying should make sure that they are fulfilling the following criteria to be eligible for GATE 2017.
- The candidates should be a Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/ Technology (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after Diploma in Engineering/Technology). Candidates appearing in the final year may also apply.
- The candidates should be a Bachelor’s degree holders of Architecture (Five years course). Candidates appearing in the final year may also apply.
- The candidates should be a Bachelor’s degree holders or appear in the final year of Four-year program in Science (B.S.).
- The candidates should be a Master’s degree holders or appearing in the final year in any branch of Science / Mathematics / Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent.
- The candidates should have completed the Four-year Integrated Master’s degree (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology and candidates who are in the second or higher year of such programs can also apply.
- The candidates should have completed the Five-year Integrated Master’s degree or Dual Degree in Engineering / Technology and candidates who are in the fourth or higher year of such programs.
- The candidates should have completed the Five-year integrated M.Sc. or Five-year integrated B.Sc./M.Sc. degree and those in the final year of such programs.
- The Candidates with qualifications equivalent to B.E./B.Tech obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE. The candidates who have completed section A of AMIE or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
The aspiring candidates will have to apply for the GATE 2017 examination online on the official website through GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS). In order to fill the application form, candidate will have to follow the given steps:
- Candidates will have to visit the GOAPS (GATE Online Application Processing System). on the official website.
- There, the candidates will have to register themselves by submitting their personal information and email ID and phone number.
- After the successful registration, candidates will be issued a GOAPS enrollment ID and password on their email id.
- The candidates will then have to log in to the account using the same ID and password.
- After logging, the candidates will have to enter the details in the application form which includes paper name, examination cities preferences, name, date of birth, parent name, email ID, ID proof.
- The candidates will also be required to upload the scanned copy of their photograph and signatures.
- After verifying all the details, candidates must submit the application form and proceed towards the fee payment.
- The requisite for last year GATE examination for general category candidates was Rs 1500/- and for candidates belonging to Women/PwD/SC / ST category, the payable amount was Rs 750.
The Admit card for the GATE examination is slated to be released on 05 January 2017. Candidates will be able to download the admit cards from the official website by entering their GOAPS Enrollment ID and Password. Candidates will have to carry the admit card along with them to the examination center.
Official Poster of GATE 2017
The GATE 2017 examination will be conducted online. There will only be a single paper for a duration of three hours. The questions asked in the paper will either be in Multiple Choice Questions format or in Numerical Questions form. The General Aptitude section will be common to all papers carrying a weight age of 15 marks. The distribution of questions for AR, EY, CY, GG, MA, XL and PH paper codes will contain 85% from the main subjects and 15% from General Aptitude. For paper codes, AE, BT, AG, CE, CS, CH, EC, IN, EE, ME, MT, MN, PI, XE and TF, the distribution of questions is Main subject (70%), General Aptitude (15%) and Engineering Mathematics (15%). In the question paper, there will be two types of MCQs of 1 or 2 markings respectively. For every 1-mark MCQ, 1/3 marks will be deducted for the wrong answer and for 2-mark MCQ, 2/3 marks will be deducted for every wrong answer. There is no negative marking for Numerical Answer Questions.
The GATE 2017 Result is likely to be announced in the month of March 2017. After the result announcement, the candidates who have qualified the examination will be able to download the GATE Score Card from the official GOAPS website. The GATE Score Card will be valid for a period of three years.
GATE 2017 Counselling
For Candidates who have qualified the GATE 2017 examination, there is no common counseling procedure for admission to IITs, etc. Candidates will have to apply separately to the Universities of their choice. The NITs, IIT, IIITs and other Universities/Institutes which admits students on the basis of GATE score will publish their individual notifications for the admission process.
New Changes in the GATE 2017 – The IISc Bangalore has made some key changes in the GATE examination from last year. Given below is the list of changes made by the institute.
- There is a revision of GATE syllabus for some papers.
- By introducing Petroleum Engineering, the numbers of GATE papers has increased to 23.
- The students can now use a virtual online calculator during the examination replacing the conventional physical calculators.
- The board will provide the answer keys for all the papers and will also accept any objections from the candidates.
Top Institutes and PSUs that accept GATE Scores
Given below is the list of some the institutes that accept GATE scores.
- The National Institutes of Technology (NITs)
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
- The Indian Institute of Science (IISc)
- The Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs)
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
- Power Grid
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL)
- Container Corporation of India Limited (CONCOR)
- Delhi Development Authority (DDA)
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL)
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL)
- Power Grid
Other Related Articles: