GATE 2017 Exam Pattern: Go through www.gate.iitr.ernet.in for details

By | October 21, 2016

GATE 2017 Exam PatternGATE 2017 Exam Pattern: The Gate 2017 will be conducted by the IIT Roorkee for admission to M.Tech program in various IITs, NITs, IIITs and Other GFTIs. The examination for the GATE 2017 will be held on 4, 5, and 11 February 2017.  The candidates will be eligible to appear for only one of the 23 Papers for the GATE 2017 examination. This year, the official examination body has included a new section in the XE paper namely Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences (section H). Thus, the number of sections in the XE paper has increased to eight i.e from A-H. To know more about the GATE 2017 Exam Pattern, continue reading the article below:

GATE 2017 Exam Pattern

  • The GATE 2017 examination will be of 3 hours duration. The question paper will consist of a total of 65 questions carrying 100 marks. Out of the total 65 questions, 10 questions will be from General Aptitude (GA) carrying a total of 15 marks.
  • The examination will be conducted in online mode.
  • The GATE 2017 question paper will consist of two different types of questions i.e the Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) and  Numerical Answer Questions.
  • For Gate 2017, the question paper having codes AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF and XE,  in there, 15% of the total marks will be from Engineering Mathematics and  the General Aptitude will be having 15% of the total marks. The rest 70% of the total marks will be from the subject of the paper.
  • For Gate 2017, the question paper having codes AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH and XL, 15% of the total marks is allotted to the General Aptitude and the rest 85% of the total marks to the main paper subject.

Question Design for GATE 2017

The IIT Roorkee will design the question paper to test the following abilities of the candidates.

  1. Recall: The questions will be based on the principle, facts, formulae or laws of the discipline of the paper.  The candidates will have to either answer from their subject memory or from a one-line computation.
  2. Comprehension:  The main aim of these questions is to test the candidate’s  understanding of the subject/field since they are required to get  simple conclusions from fundamental ideas.
  3. Application: These types of question will test the candidate’s logical reasoning of the subject.
  4. Analysis and Synthesis: In these types of question, the candidates will have to analyse the data, diagrams, images etc., given to them or they have to compare two or more pieces of information to solve the given questions. 

GATE 2017 Exam Pattern: Marking Scheme

In GATE 2017, the MCQs having  +1 marking, 1/3 marks will be deducted for every wrong answer. Whereas,for MCQs with +2 marking scheme, 2/3 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer. However, there is no negative marking in the numerical answer type questions. 

  • General Aptitude (GA) Questions: The GA questions will be carrying a total of 15 marks including 5 sections carrying 1 mark each and the rest 5 questions carrying 2 marks each. 
  • GG (Geology and Geophysics) Paper: The GG question paper apart from GA section will be of two parts. Part A will consist of 25 multiple-choice questions carrying 1-mark each.  The Part B will consist of 30 multiple choice questions carrying 2 marks each.
  • XE Paper (Engineering Sciences): In XE paper, there will be a total of 22 questions in other sections excluding mathematics section,  carrying a total of 35 marks.  In XE paper, the Section A i.e Engineering Mathematics section is compulsory.  This section will have 11 questions carrying a total of 15 marks.
  • XL Paper (Life Sciences): For candidates attempting XL paper, the section-H Chemistry section is compulsory. The Chemistry section will have a total of 15 questions carrying a total of 25 marks. The rest sections will consist of 20questions carrying a total of 30 marks.   

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *